Since I won’t be at the Farmer’s Market this weekend, I decided to give you guys a little gift.
Playing around in the kitchen today and made a little something with donuts. If you have ever heard of the ” The Luther “It’s a burger that involves beef patty, loads of bacon, cheese all place between 2 glazed donuts. Made famous in the classic cartoon/anime, The Boondocks.
I took that inspiration and created the Cajun “Luther”. It involves the same ingredients but swaps the beef for a blackened chicken breast and adds an egg made your way. (personal preference-fried or over easy)
- Chicken Breast(s)
- Glazed Donuts (Preferably from your favorite donut shop)
- 2 slices of Sharp Cheddar
- Applewood Smoked Bacon
- Olive Oil
- Blackening Seasoning (can’t go wrong with Zatarains)
- Take your chicken breasts and season them accordingly with the blackening seasoning. Place chicken in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour for a quick marinade.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, place parchment paper on a baking sheet and line with the desired amount of bacon. Place bacon in the oven and cook for 10-20 minutes or until desired crispy/chewiness.
- Heat cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Pour 2 tbsp olive oil into the pan. Remove chicken from fridge and sear for 1-1 1/2 minutes on each side or desired sear. Place pan directly into the oven and cook at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes. Melt cheese on chicken upon removal from oven.
- Crack the egg into a lightly oiled skillet and cook to your liking
- Build the sandwich and enjoy!!!
In addition to the aforementioned recipe, you can substitute breakfast sausage and remove the bacon, or just have bacon and no chicken. You can really add any meat you would like, even a portabello mushroom or tofu for my veggies and vegans out there. Let me know your variations and changes!
Check out the Sausage Egg and Cheese Luther I made using Whataburger Breakfast Sausage! Enjoy!